The University of Oslo used to be based in downtown Oslo but now only the Faculty of Law remains in the original buildings, with the rest of the University located at Blindern (which has been developed since the 1930’s). The university was founded in 1811 and was modeled on the University of Copenhagen and the University of Berlin. Until 1946 it was the only university in Norway. In front of the original buildings (Domus Bibliotheca, Domus Media and Domus Academica) on Universitetsplassen stand two statues.
Statue 54 is of Anton M. Schweigaard (1808 – 1870) who was a professor of jurisprudence and economics in the 1830s and 1840s. He helped Norway to become a capitalist economy and served as a member of parliament from 1842 – 1869.